The production potential of Lamole, now a hamlet of Greve in Chianti, was first discovered by the Romans, who established vineyards and olive groves on the high hills they’d recognized as ideal farming country. Indeed, the well-aspected site overlooking the Tyrrhenian Sea is characterized by a natural amphitheatre that is protected by Monte San Michele to the north and exposed to long hours of sunlight. In the Middle Ages production became so important that Lamole was protected by a castle built by the Florentine Gherardini family in 1350, whose extensive ruins can still be seen today. The village was famed for its production of orris root essence, obtained from the Florentine iris, a fragrance prized at the French court of Catherine de’ Medici. This tradition of quality, clearly exemplified in the complex system of terraces, continued over the following centuries, and in the 1800s Lamole was cited in contemporary publications as one of the “cradles” of fine Chianti.
The industrialization of the valley floor drew most of the village’s inhabitants away, making agriculture even more challenging and the sole preserve of a small group of tenacious farmers. This was the situation when the Lamole di Lamole estate entered the Santa Margherita Wine Group in 1993. Work immediately commenced to recover the old vineyards, restoring their original features. The long-abandoned terraces were rebuilt by hand (thus countering soil erosion), and broom, Florentine iris and other local species were planted.